Of course! Just a warning though; this is probably going to be long.
- If you ask anyone in the Jeanmarco fandom for fic recommendations everyone and their grandmother is going to yell “FIC: LAD!” at you. Myself included. Probably the most popular fanfic in this fandom, My Beating Heart and the rest of Like a Drum series by Lownly is a bit of a must read. Despite seeing all of the hype for it, it actually was a while before I read it. And I wish I had read it sooner. College AUs are often very overdone - not only in this fandom, but in general. They seem to follow the same formula a lot of the time and can become very repetitive. Lownly, however, brings something completely new to the figurative table to college!aus. The focus is mostly on the actual relationship between Marco and Jean; the dynamic between the two and the development of their friendship into…well, you know. It’s really well written and the progression of their relationship seems really realistic. Everyone is pretty well in character, from our two main characters to side characters. And Lownly really is an amazing writer; she can go from making me laugh aloud (for example, at Reiner’s gaydar) to making my heart wrench (at Jean referring himself to a problem). There are a lot of things I’d love to say about this fic, but unfortunately I’m not as eloquent with words as Lownly and I really don’t know how to phrase my thoughts. In short; please. If you read one Jeanmarco fic read LAD.
- Another great fic everyone has been raving on about is Wisteria by butterflychansan. And in my opinion, it’s deserving of all of the praise. First of all can I just say that the writing itself is gorgeous. I can’t quite pin down what it is exactly, but it’s just beautiful. The words, the language, some of the flower metaphors - I’m completely sold. Even the first paragraphs of the first chapter talk about how people are like flowers. Even though I knew virtually nothing about the story from the first paragraph I was sold. The writing stays just as good throughout the fic, with long detailed chapters that got me right into the mind of Marco. The actual plot was fantastic as well and I enjoyed it immensely. It was incredibly heart wrenching at some points (chapter 8…my heart…) though heart-warming at other points. It basically sent my emotions flying up then down then back up again. One of my favorite things was how there were so many ups and downs to their relationship, it wasn’t simple and easy, it was complicated and hard. Like with LAD, I’ve a lot to say and I’ve no idea how to say it. But Wisteria definitely deserves a place on any Jeanmarco recommendation list.
- Strings by Kenjiandco. Strings is completely different from the other two I’ve already mentioned. There’s not another Jeanmarco fic like it. While so many Jeanmarco fics have similar relationships; roommates, friends, etc, Strings takes on a completely different plot. Strings is the story of a bodyguard and his charge, and I love it. Although there still is romance in the story, Strings is also a thriller. There’s so much suspense surrounding it. Every chapter packs a punch and leaves me wanting more. It keeps me guessing at different things and I keep thinking I’ve worked something out before it changes entirely. Despite the seriousness of it, it still has it’s lighter moments. Characterization is spot on, and it has one of the best plots I’ve read - the pieces of the puzzle only coming together slowly. The writing style suits the piece beautifully - there are those moments when you know somebody is on to something, and my pulse actually quickens because I need to find out what is going to happen. Each time a little twist is revealed I find myself somewhere between thinking “Ah, yes! That makes sense, I see what’s happening here” and “Good gOD NO!” Strings keeps me glued to my screen and will probably do the same for you.
- Long Time Coming by lamatikah. In general, this is a bit lighter than the other fics I’ve mentioned so far, but no less brilliant. Long Time Coming is the story of camp counselors Jean and Marco and it is just perfect. First of all, it’s quite hilarious at some parts - between Sasha and Connie’s interactions to Jean dealing with eight year olds and being a general dork. But my favorite thing about this is the development of the relationship between Jean and Marco. Jean starts out as such a stubborn
ass person but as it goes on you can see him bit by bit beginning to like Marco, against his wishes. Despite being quite lighthearted it has it’s serious moments. The writing style suits it too; the writing is really good and it suits the tone and mood of whatever scene well. Long Time Coming is one of one of those stories that makes my heart beat faster and makes my emotions about Jeanmarco spike all over the place.
- give and take by sinelanguage. Give and Take is one of my favorite fics ever. A cop!au, but it’s so much more. It’s so packed full of different elements; starting off as a simple work relationship between two cops. Funny shenanigans ensue but then things take a turn for slightly darker areas and the whole thing is just. A masterpiece. Again, the relationship between Marco and Jean is so great. It’s different from all of the other fics I’ve read. give and take is just a masterpiece. There’s something about it that I can’t quite pin (maybe it’s because the whole thing just seems so real, and there’s a gradual build up) that makes it a one of a kind. It’s impossible to describe it while giving it justice, so I highly recommend that you read it as soon as possible.
- Interstate 80 by sinelanguage. Can you tell that I’m a big sinelanguage fan? Interstate 80 is a lighthearted oneshot that made my heart twist with joy every five minutes. I just adored it; from the characters (Jean and Marco as well as Connie and Sasha) were spot on, to the humor - I was laughing my head off at some of the shenanigans they got up to, to the ending, which was tied up nicely. Sometimes in one shots I feel that there could have been more put into it, or that it wasn’t tied up as well as it could have been, or it left the reader unsatisfied. Interstate 80 did none of those things and I had a grin on my face all of the way through it.
- Catacombs by hexagram. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve ever seen much about this fic on tumblr which is a damn shame because it’s really damn good. Catacomb’s plot is completely new for the Jeanmarco scene and it’s one I find really fucking interesting. Thief!Jean and Museum tour guide!Marco? History and archaeology? Mystery lurking in the air? That’s right. I’m absolutely sold. The plot is a new take on the pairing and it’s refreshing to see original and unique works like this. The writing is great too and there are a few sentences which make me just sit back and think “Wow. That was a great line. I wish I had thought of that.” In short; Catacombs is a story which although it mightn’t be as well known as some of the others, it’s still excellent.
- Once Then, Twice Again by Flufferdoodlez. This is one of the works that makes me lean back and sigh and think “Why. Why can’t I write like this.” It’s a boarding school au, but with a unique take on it. Characters are spot on, the plot is great and the writing is just so good. It drew me in and I got lost in it, and I’m always looking forward to a new chapter. It has me laughing in some places, frowning in others and altogether looking forward to what’s going to happen next.
That’s all for now, I think. There are plenty of other incredible fics though, even just going through the Jean Kirstein/Marco Bott tag on A03 will come up with some great ones. On the kink meme too; despite the name not all prompts are focused on smut. And for the second part of your ask, the main Jeanmarco fic I’m working on is here with one shots and the like here. But I wouldn’t waste time with them. I hope you enjoy some of the ones I’ve suggested, and I hope I helped!